Home : Air National Guard : Request PAANG Records

Records Request Program

This page contains information on requesting military service records to include DD Form 214, DD Form 215, NGB Form 22, NGB Form 23, and other service-related documents. 

In general, an MA-VA 90 Records Request Form may be submitted to request these documents. More detailed information about where service documents are located and who can request these records is below.

PA National Guard discharges prior to 1955 must request information directly from PA State Archives. The Pennsylvania State Archives maintains evidence of service for Pennsylvania Military units during the period 1775-1985, as well as record of state war bonuses that were paid to service members of the WWI, Korean, WWII and Vietnam wars.

The Pennsylvania Army and Air National Guard maintain a state file of service from 1955-2009. Information from these state files varies, but should include records of enlistment, discharge, and other administrative actions. A veteran, or next-of-kin of a deceased veteran, can obtain copies of available information by submitting an MA-VA 90 Records Request Form via email, or by mailing to:
PA Department of Military and Veterans Affairs
Attention: Office of Veterans' Affairs, Record Requests - (Insert Army or Air)
Bldg 0-47, Fort Indiantown Gap
Annville, PA 17003

Discharged veterans from 2010-present are able to access their digital records themselves by setting up an account through the eBenefits portalOpens In A New Window.

Individuals that have retired or separated from the PA National Guard in the last year may request service documents, to include copies of their NGB Form 22 and NGB Form 23, by submitting a FORM 2, G1-MPM-SS Records Request to Retirement Services. FAX completed requests to 717-861-9643, or mail to:
Department of Military & Veterans Affairs
ATTN: G1-MPM-SS (Retirement Services)
Fort Indiantown Gap, Annville, PA 17003-5002

Retirement benefit questions should be directed to Retirement Services at 717-861-9430.

Questions about Pennsylvania National Guard records requests can be directed to the Office of Veterans' Affairs at 717-861-8910.

Military veterans and next-of-kin (Defined as surviving spouse, father, mother, son, daughter, sister or brother) can easily request copies of discharges and other Personnel Records at the National ArchivesOpens In A New Window.

Genealogists and others must submit a Standard Form 180 and special rulesOpens In A New Windowapply.

If you have been discharged from military service, with no remaining service obligation, your Personnel Files are most likely stored at the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). If you require information maintained in your Personnel Files you should review the National ArchivesOpens In A New Window.

Almost half of the contact we receive from veterans and others pertains to locating a DD 214 and other service records. Documents as important as these should be kept in a safe place. We highly recommend that veterans record their discharges/DD214s with their County Courthouse so they are able to obtain free certified copies for the remainder of their life, and so they are available to next-of-kin upon their death. The DD 214 provides the member and the service with a concise record of a period of service with the Armed Forces at the time of the member’s separation, discharge, or change in military status. In addition, the form is an authoritative source of information for both governmental agencies and the Armed Forces for purposes of employment, benefit and reenlistment data. If you do not currently have a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge (DD Form 214) now is the time to obtain it before you need it.
MA-VA 90 Records Request Form

A DD Form 215 is used to correct errors or additions to a DD Form 214 discovered after the original had been delivered and/or distribution had been made.

A DD Form 214/215 is prepared in 8 copies and is distributed as follows:

  • Copy 1 – Member
  • Copy 2 – Service Personnel File
  • Copy 3 – United States Department of Veteran Affairs
  • Copy 4 – Member (if initialed in Block 30)
  • Copy 5 – US Dept of Labor
  • Copy 6 – State Director of Veteran Affairs (if checked yes in block 20)
  • Copy 7&8 – Distributed in accordance with Military Service Dept directions


You can also locate your Service Medical RecordsOpens In A New Window.

If you had an overnight stay in a military treatment facility while on active duty, a clinical record of that treatment most likely exists and is available. Review the rules and procedures for requesting Clinical RecordsOpens In A New Window.

Veterans who plan to file a claim for benefits with the USDVA do not need to request copies of Service Medical Records. The VA will obtain them if not already in their possession.

DD 214/215
Bldg. 0-47, Fort Indiantown Gap
Annville, PA 17003-5002
Phone: 717-861-8910
E-mail: RA-REQ@pa.gov